Thursday, August 9, 2012

a [two] day trip

Last week B.J. had some time off from pouring concrete.  We drove two hours south to Colorado Springs and stayed overnight one night with our kids.  We had a great time!

First stop: the Air Force Academy
Walking to the chapel
The chapel outside
The chapel inside
(I kept thinking I could've captured this better if I owned a fish-eye lens, but you get the general idea.
The colors were beautiful!)



Cadets marching with dormitories in the background

B-52 bomber
Lunch at America the Beautiful Park.

Playing in the fountain - it was hot that day!


Then we checked in at the hotel, napped, watched the Olympics for a bit, swam with the kids, and went out for supper.  While we were eating, it started to rain/thunderstorm, which means that I didn't get many photos at the Garden of the Gods...



Balanced Rock
 But then the sun broke through....


And the Lord treated us to a gorgeous double rainbow - both full, brilliant arcs in the sky.  Again, the photos cannot do it justice.  B.J. said it was the most incredible rainbow he's ever seen.





Day 2.  Cheyenne Mountain Zoo, which isn't as big as Henry Doorly, but still a very neat zoo!  It's known especially for it's large (and very friendly) giraffe herd.




The zoo is built on the side of Cheynne Mountain.  Here's a view from the monkey house.   Lots of inclines and stairs - this ever-growing mama lagged a little.  But incredible views!
Also from the monkey house - I just turned to my left.  The black mountains in the background there are the sight of last month's devastating Waldo Canyon fire, which destroyed 350 homes in CO Springs.  Also the area that experienced serious mudslides a little over a week ago.

The highlight of Nathan's day
The Budgie Building - we figure this wouldn't be your favorite part, Auntie Sher!  ;-)
This budgie likes Daddy.


I had to drag Nathan away from the Koi.
Daddy road the skyway with Leah and Will.  Here we are below...
...and here's the view from up top.  Is that Iowa way in the background?  :-)

6 comments:

  1. Awesome pictures, Sar! What a fun trip! (Loved the caption about Auntie Sher. . . would definitely be a hoot to take her in there. . ! ;)

    Now eagerly awaiting some pictures with your most recent visitors! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. your pictures are beautiful! Colorado Springs looks like such a beautiful place! I pray things are going well and everyone has transitioned well from your big move!

    ReplyDelete
  3. These pictures are so neat! It looks like you all had a fabulous trip!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sweet stuff, Sar!!
    (Not the birds though...makes me a little nervous just lookin' at them all ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Sarah! I was looking through my "favorites" list of websites I've saved through the years, and was excited to find your blog back! I wanted to say hi and thank you for sharing all of the pictures and stories of you and your family! Congratulations to you and BJ on the little one growing inside of you, being knit together by God, while you patiently (and sometimes impatiently! :) await his or her arrival. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Okay, so I had a LOT of catching up to do! And if I had been checking in on you more often and reading your blog from time to time, I'd know that your little one is due now! :) I'm sorry for being so far behind! Thinking about you and your wonderful family much in the days and weeks to come! Also, I've now subscribed to your blog - no more excuses on being behind the eight-ball. :)

    ReplyDelete