Wednesday, March 6, 2013

recommended read



I am somewhat delayed with this post.  Unbroken was named one of the best books of 2010.  And I didn't read the book - I downloaded the audio version from a local library.  There were eleven holds on the hard copy; only three on the audio version.  B.J. and I listened to the last of it last night before tucking in.  The 14-hour recording arrested me from the very first sentence.  

I've always loved to read.  Now I read mostly children's stories, but in junior high I spent summer vacation on the sofa in the living room, consuming book after book.  In the four semesters I spent as a college English major, I would read entire novels in a single sitting.

My love for reading began with those who read to me.  My mom would follow us upstairs to bed and read us to sleep in the hallway adjacent our bedrooms, flashlight in hand.  My favorite parts of the school day followed lunch, when Mr. R. or Mr. H. read aloud while we worked on our spelling, and the last recess on Wednesdays, when Mrs. H. would teach us art and play recordings of Edgar Allen Poe or read stories while our hands and imaginations were busy.

I don't know that I have ever read or heard read anything that has impacted me as this story has.

The story attests to the horrors of the second World War.  It exposes the depth of the depravity of man.  And it testifies to the redeeming power of the love of the Almighty God in one man's remarkable life.  

It is highly recommended.    

3 comments:

  1. Sarah,

    Would you recommend it for our school library? If so, I will go out and buy it.

    Esther

    ReplyDelete
  2. Esther -
    I don't think I would order it for the school library. In the story the main character, Louis, is imprisoned in some very brutal Japanese POW camps. I think some of what he endures is too graphic for our children to read. Some of the older high school kids would likely be able to handle it, but I'd keep it out of our library for the sake of those who can't.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sarah,
    I also read this book about a year ago. It was awesome. To think soldiers could actually live through those experiences. Thankful my dad and your grandpa didn't have to go through that in the war. I highly recommend it also. Carlene

    ReplyDelete