Wednesday, June 13, 2012

1 Corinthians 9


               Throughout our study of 1 Corinthians thus far, we have returned several times to the topic of personal rights versus Christian responsibilities.  Generally speaking, I’ve noted that we are too quick to neglect our responsibilities to God and the neighbor in an attempt to protect our rights.  The apostle Paul begins chapter 9 of 1 Corinthians by asserting a right that was his: namely, the right to be supported materially by those to whom he ministered.  Just as a soldier is compensated by his government, a farmer enjoys the fruit of his crops, and the Old Testament priests were fed from the sacrifices that were brought to the temple, so, Paul writes, the preacher of the gospel – and his family – have the right to “live of the gospel.”  The same is true of your pastor.

                And yet, Paul notes, he had willingly surrendered his right to be supported by the Corinthians so that they would not be tempted to think that he preached for money.  I am called, compelled to preach, Paul writes, indeed, “Woe is me if I do not preach the gospel!”  And yet, he continues, it is not enough that I preach; I must preach willingly.  The same is true for me as a wife and a mom.  I cannot go about my daily tasks grudgingly and assume that I’ve fulfilled my calling.  Nor is it enough that you labor from day to day in your vocation.  We are called to work willingly, cheerfully,heartily, as to the Lord and not to men, knowing that from the Lord you will receive the reward of the inheritance” (Colossians 3:23-24).

                Paul then shares his willingness to forfeit his rights in other areas for the sake of the gospel.  “For though I am free from all men, I have made myself a servant to all, that I might win the more…I have become all things to all men, that I might by all means save some.”  How quick are you or I to cross our comfort zones for the sake of the gospel?  When is the last time you or I have become what a child, a neighbor from a foreign country, or the misfit in the pew needed in order that we might demonstrate to them the gospel? 

                To emphasize how seriously he takes living for the sake of the gospel, Paul employs the metaphor of an athlete.  Corinth was the Greek city in which the Isthmian Games were held.  The Isthmian Games were similar to the Olympic Games, they were simply held on alternating years.  So when Paul compares living the Christian life to that of a runner or a boxer, the Corinthians knew well that Paul was telling them to live as an athlete who is training for the gold medal.  Like an athlete, the Christian must exert himself under intense training in holiness and discipleship.  There is no room for aimless running or for shadow boxing in the life of one whose eyes are fixed on the prize.  The Christian life is not living the American dream with a Jesus sticker on your bumper.  The Christian life does not entitle one to take time off from training because he or she has just married, had a baby, been too busy, or turned 65.  There is no retirement from our responsibilities.  Ours is lifelong rigorous training, of sacrificing our own body and our own will for the sake of the gospel and the goal of a heavenly reward.  Is that how we live?

                Perhaps you’ve heard of Eric Liddel, the Scottish runner who refused to run the 100 meter dash, which he was favored to win, at the 1924 Paris Olympic Games because a heat of that race was held on Sunday.  Instead he ran the 400 meters, at which he had previously performed modestly in comparison, and astonished the world when he not only won, but also broke the existing Olympic and world records in the event.  Shortly thereafter Liddell became a missionary to China, where he died in a prisoner of war camp at the age of 43.  While in China, Liddell was questioned as to his strategy in the 400 meters.  He responded, “I ran the first 200 as hard as I could, and then, for the second 200, with God’s help, I ran harder.”

                That’s the way we’re called to live the Christian life.  So run, that you may obtain.
                

No comments:

Post a Comment