Thursday, May 19, 2016

Kaleidoscope ~ A Quilt for Eli

Jem arrived a bit sooner than I expected, so there are still a few projects on my "to-do" list that are unfinished.  That's OK - they weren't urgent anyway.  But I did finish one project the week before he was born: a quilt for Eli.  And I shouldn't say "I" - this quilt was a team effort!  Leah ironed multiple quilt blocks for me, and Willem, Marie, Nathan, and Eli pulled the paper off the back of the blocks (I sewed the strips on 8.5" x 8.5" pieces of scratch paper).  We made the quilt from fabric strips that I've been cutting and saving for several years.  Whenever I had a fabric remnant not big enough to do anything with, I would cut it into 1 1/2" - 2" wide strips and stash it away.  It was a fun project, and I have plenty of strips left to start a quilt for Sean E. sometime, too!  We named the quilt "Kaleidoscope," but we didn't come up with that title on our own - I saw a similar quilt online once, and we couldn't come up with a better name ourselves.  

Eli and me and his quilt front.

Leah and Eli and the quilt back - if they look a little chilly, snow flurries are falling while I take this picture!

One extra block - I sewed it on the back with this inscription: "For Eli - 'Kaleidoscope' - Spring '16 - Love, Mom."

No comments:

Post a Comment