Sunday, May 8, 2016

Dear James - Mother's Day 2016



5-8-2016

Dear James,

Several years ago I started the tradition of writing each of my children a letter for Mother's Day.  (But last year I forgot and left them at everyone's breakfast seats one week late - there were enough tears that Mother's Day morning that I don't think I'll ever forget again!)  I didn't expect to be writing a letter to you yet this year, but here you are, and I want to tell you in writing how much I love you.  Still more - I want to tell you how great our God is. 



When I first learned that I was pregnant with you, I laughed, but as my discomforts grew, so did my doubts.  Many days, particularly in the last month or so, the fear in my heart prevailed over the faith.  Just a week or two ago I told your dad, "I am not capable of faithfully raising another child."  "No, you're not," he replied.  But He is able."  And Dad was - and is - right.  Our heavenly Father is abundantly able to do far more than we can ask or imagine.  Dr. Kenigsburg prayed at my last couple of clinic visits that you would come sooner rather than later.  I've never had a baby arrive before his or her due date...until you.  Before we went to the hospital I prayed over my contracting belly for patience, endurance, and pain tolerance.  God gave all those things, plus a labor that was over much sooner than I expected.  When I was disappointed that we would have to stay in the hospital for three whole days, I prayed for contentment with God's will in that, too, and He gave you and me three peaceful, pleasant days, the memory of which I cherish.



There will be many more - and greater - trials in the days ahead, little one resting in your sleeping Daddy's arms (across the bed from a wriggling Eli and a squirming Sean - they are responsible, by the way, for the unnecessary squiggles on this card... :-).  But when we belong to such a great God, we need not fear.  He knit you together in my womb (Ps. 139); He is the one who took you out of my womb (Ps. 71); and He will carry you and me even to our oldest age, when He will finally and fully deliver us and bring us Home (Ps. 46).

I love you, James Elliot.

Mom

(More pictures of our new addition forthcoming.  :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment