Wednesday, November 28, 2012

Heaven: the hope of Christmas

For this week's Enterprise...

                I was there when my Grandma died twenty years ago on November 19, a dull and drizzIy day.  I remember sitting on a windowsill in the family room on her floor and watching umbrellas scurry along the sidewalk below.  I remember playing Rummikub with Uncle Dave.  Mostly I remember waiting, and the sudden, shrill beeping of the machines.  I remember touching my Grandma’s puffy hand, and Mom and Aunt Carlene crying and hugging.

                The day of Grandma’s funeral was even colder than the day she died.  I wore my purple skirt and  lavender blouse and carried a sweaty wad of KIeenex in my hand.  I remember watching Great Aunt Marge sobbing and swaying in the pew in front of us and wishing that she would stop.

                My Grandma missed Thanksgiving.  She did not get to see me when I got my ears pierced for my tenth birthday several weeks later.  That Christmas our family gathered at Uncle Ed and Aunt Carlene’s house instead of Grandpa and Grandma’s.  Great Aunt Marge sent each of us eight grandchildren a hand-written note and a $100 bill.

                Grandpa missed Grandma.  I sat with him, Aunt Bubba, and Uncle Dave one Sunday afternoon, way in the back of the church sanctuary.  When the sermon started Grandpa pulled a poem out of his pocket.   He leaned forward and stared at the words on the paper for a long time, his elbows on his knees.  “I’m having my first Christmas in Heaven!  A glorious and wonderful day!  I’m standing with the saints of the ages, who found Christ, the Truth and the Way…”

…………………………………………………………

                What are you counting on this Christmas?  Does your hope for the holiday season depend on decorating your home?  The goodies you may or may not bake?  Buying or crafting or receiving just the right gift?  On going home for Christmas, or on who will or will not be coming home?  Peace on earth?

                I learned some things about Christmas the year that my Grandma died.  I learned that you can’t count on a person or persons to make your Christmas complete.  People die.  Divorce.  Move away.  I learned that no amount of material wealth can bring peace or joy to one’s heart.  As much as I enjoy giving or receiving a thoughtful gift, I cannot remember what I bought with Great Aunt Marge’s money, even though I’d never even seen a $100 bill before.  I learned that with time, all traditions change. 

                Grandpa had it right, in the end.  Heaven is the hope of Christmas.  Our hope for those whom we love, and the hope of our own hearts, too.  All of the distractions, disappointments, and depression that can consume at this time of the year come as the result of sin.  The result of Adam’s sin.  And your sin.  And mine.  “The wages of sin is death,” but praise God for the gift that He’s given to us, “eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord!” (Romans 6:23).

                Is heaven your hope this Christmas?
                

No comments:

Post a Comment