Saturday, September 8, 2012

last weekend

So I'd looked forward to last weekend since the end of May, since graduation day for Leah's kindergarten and eighth grade schoolmates.  It was there, at graduation, that I watched Leah walk in with those kids and teachers we love, and my throat grew tight and hot, and I wiped stubborn tears through the opening prayer.  It was there, while we were eating buns and cake in the basement, that Sherry leaned back over her chair and told me about the plane tickets that they had bought to here, and that they would be coming over Labor Day weekend.

And last Friday, they came.

Grandma and Eli.

Auntie Anna and Nathan reading "The Sneetches."

Grandpa couldn't resist the Ice Cream Man!  :-)

Everyone with their ice cream.

Along the Thompson River...




Swimming with Grandma at the hotel.


Auntie Sherry and Eli.

Grandpa and Eli.


Grandpa and Nathan.
I snapped the last photo of my Dad and Nathan shortly before they all left late Sunday night.  My throat was tight and hot, and the tears were starting to come.  It was hard for me to say good-bye...I wanted to hold on to those precious moments with my parents and siblings and our children for just a little bit longer.

We watched them get into their rental car from the front step.  Dad turned around and waved at us from the front lawn, and I pressed my lips into Eli's soft hair as everything blurred.

B.J. held me close as we fell asleep.  As I drifted off, I thought about them flying out early in the morning, and us, staying here.  I thought about what might have been.  And then I thought, why I am so sad?  Yes, there will be dear people and good times missed here below...but we've got forever.

We love you, Dad and Mom, Sherry, Anna, and Jerron!  Thank you so much for coming to visit!  And, hey, Jer - quit growing!  (If you don't, I know that when I see you next I'll officially be the shortest in the family!  ;-)

2 comments:

  1. Hoofta. . . this post is chock full of people who I miss so much! I, too, know that tight, hot throat feeling all too well.

    Eli is looking oh so handsome! and the family picture of Dad and Mom should be their Christmas card - it's great!

    Love you, Sar! Can't wait 'til it's our turn to make a trip out!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks like you had a wonderful time together! I've read this post more times than I care to admit, and it still brings tears every time. I miss you so, dear sister! (And you too, Valen Kay!)

    ReplyDelete