Wednesday, December 7, 2011

Jacob's Ladder


We read the story of Jacob this morning.  Jacob, the one who desires the birthright, who covets not only material blessing, but Messiah’s birth.   The one known as the deceiver, who, like father Isaac and grandfather Abraham before him, prefers to take things into his own hands.  The one who makes a long and lonely trek to a land he’s never seen before because his own brother intends to end his life.  The weary, troubled one who settles to sleep with nothing but a stone for a pillow.

We read about the dream that Jacob dreams that night: of the ladder that reaches from earth to heaven, of the angels that descend and ascend upon it, and of God Himself at the top, reaffirming His covenant promise: “In you and your offspring shall all the families of the earth be blessed.  Behold, I am with you and will keep you wherever you go, and will bring you back to this land. For I will not leave you until I have done what I have promised you."

Then we skip ahead nearly 2,000 years to the first chapter of the book of John.  Jesus’ earthly ministry is just beginning.  He calls Philip to follow him, and Philip runs to tell his friend Nathanael that he has found the Messiah.  Nathanael, doubtful, yet curious, comes, and Jesus greets him, “Behold, an Israelite, in whom there is no deceit!”  And this descendant of the deceiver responds: "Rabbi, you are the Son of God! You are the King of Israel!"  Jesus’ answer?  "Because I said to you, 'I saw you under the fig tree,' do you believe? You will see greater things than these.  Truly, truly, I say to you, you will see heaven opened, and the angels of God ascending and descending on the Son of Man."

            So we hang a ladder on our Jesse Tree, and we meditate on the One Who opens heaven, the only Way to God, the One on Whose merit the ministry of the angels depends.  The One on Whom our prayers go up, the One on Whom the angels descend to minister to those who are the heirs of salvation.  We imagine for a moment that we are the shepherds, and the angels are praising God and proclaiming peace at the birth of Jacob’s Offspring, in Whom all the families of the earth are blessed. 


            Note Jacob’s response to his dream:  1) Wonder“Then Jacob awoke from his sleep and said, "Surely the LORD is in this place, and I did not know it.  And he was afraid and said, "How awesome is this place! This is none other than the house of God, and this is the gate of heaven." 2) Worship“So early in the morning Jacob took the stone that he had put under his head and set it up for a pillar and poured oil on the top of it.”  3) A vow to give back to God of his wealth"If God will be with me and will keep me in this way that I go, and will give me bread to eat and clothing to wear, so that I come again to my father's house in peace, then the LORD shall be my God,  and this stone, which I have set up for a pillar, shall be God's house. And of all that you give me I will give a full tenth to you."

‘Tis Advent, friends.  Marvel at the wonder of heaven opened.  Worship.  And give to God of the abundant wealth that He has given to you.  He is with you, and will keep you wherever you go.  He will not leave you until He has done what He has promised: to bring you to that heavenly land, carried in angels’ arms up the rungs of Jacob’s Ladder.

No comments:

Post a Comment