Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Things that go bump in the night

It's even posted on the bulletin board at school (she is the Star Student of the Month).  Your favorite thing to do:  Projects with Willem and Marie.  So she gets home and all they want to do is play school.  I never have to wonder what the kindergarten class is up to - we've got our own copycat kindergarten right here.


When her folder came home yesterday, inside were two letters, one for Will and one for Marie.  She told me she wrote them before the school day began and planned to set them by their places at the table in the middle of the night so that we would all be surprised.  


You who are mamas of little ones know how it is: uninterrupted sleep is a rare commodity.  At fourteen months with only four teeth, Nathan occasionally still orders a dry diaper and a drink with Ora-Jel on top.  Then there's Marie, who can't stand storms, and Will and Leah, who don't understand that it's not necessary to report to me every minor thirst or urge to use the facilities.


So when I heard something go "bump" last night, in the middle of the night, with no ensuing report, I let it be.  Drifted right back off.  Congratulated myself on finally getting it through: if it's not an emergency, let Mama sleep.


When I stumbled out this morning, there, waiting at Willem and Marie's places, were their letters, complete with crazy bands, a braided friendship bracelet, and a beaded necklace that cousin Jenna made for Leah.  





She tells me she was up at 2:00 am.



2 comments: