Wednesday, December 22, 2010

Top '10


~ Top ’10 ~


Our 10 Most Memorable Quotes from 2010

10.       B.J.  (responding to the news that school had been called off again on account of snow):  “Staying home wouldn’t be that big of a deal if I could get out of my own driveway to get some parts so that I could actually work on something!  I’m running out of things to do around here!”

9.         Leah (after she and Sarah assisted one of our nannies with a traumatic delivery of twins):  “Now I can picture exactly what you meant when you said the kids would come out of an opening in their mom’s backside, Mom!  What I’m wondering is…how does that work with people?”

8.         Sarah’s Mom (on the telephone on the evening of the day that all of B.J.’s family had arrived to camp in our yard):  “There’s a storm coming – 70 mph winds and quarter-sized hail!  There’s a warning out about flash floods!  What are you going to do with all of your family and their tents?!”

7.         Leah (reflecting on one of her first days at school):  “I miss you at school.  Today at recess I just sat on the horse, ate my snack, and thought, ‘I wish Will was here to play with.’”

6.         Sarah (to Marie, who persists with a curious, rodent-like habit of pocketing food in her mouth, sometimes for hours at a time):  “Argh, Marie, what’s in your mouth?”  Marie: “I’m chewing it, Mommy!”  Sarah (five minutes later): “Marie, it’s chewed – we finished lunch an hour and a half ago!”  Marie (in a slightly higher key): “I’m chewing it, Mommy!” Sarah (five minutes later): Swallow it, Marie!”  Marie (frantically):  I’m chewing it, Mommy!”  (Spank!  Smack, smack…swallow) “It’s gone, Mommy!”

5.         Leah (quizzing Sarah after our first conference with her kindergarten teacher):  “Did Mrs. Van Den Top say anything else about me, Mom?”  Sarah:  “Well, I remember one more thing, the last thing that she said: ‘We love having Leah at school.’  What…why are you crying, Leah!?  I thought that would make you happy!”  Leah:  “I am happy, Mom!  I’m so happy that all my happiness is coming out crying!”

4.         Dr. J. (speaking to Sarah at Nathan’s 1-month post-partum check-up):  “I can tell you this, Sarah.  I know a lot of moms, and I’ve delivered thousands of babies.  Not once have I seen the Lord give a mother more children than what she could handle.  His grace is sufficient for you, too.”

3.         Sarah (addressing Leah and Willem):  “Someday, when you two have homes of your own…”  Willem (bottom lip out, starting to cry):  “Aww…shucks!  You mean we have to go away?!  I don’t ever want to leave you guys!”

2.         Sarah (to B.J., after watching our wedding and honeymoon videos on the evening of our 7th wedding anniversary):  “One thing strikes me: how much more I love and appreciate you now compared to the day we were married.  I loved you then, but now I’m more aware of how God has blessed me by giving me you.”  B.J.:  “I know exactly what you mean - I feel the same way about you.”

1.         B.J.  (Sunday evening, July 25):  “It’s a boy, Sar!  It’s a boy!”

No comments:

Post a Comment