Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Growth

     I was born 28 years ago today.

     My husband left me a love letter on the keyboard of the computer last night (I'm a creature of habit - lately it's been wake up, devotions, to the computer to write a response to what I've read, even if it's only a sentence - so he knew I'd find his letter there) and a birthday gift: a night out to Handel's Messiah in April!  Not only a wonderful gift, but four months to anticipate it as well!

     As I drove past the hospital where I was born this morning (Willem had a appointment at the dental clinic next door) - I couldn't help but muse over how little I've moved in the past 28 years.  The "world out there" is so grand and alluring to me, yet I live only 1/2 mile from the home where I grew up.  At one time, I had dreams of doing great things, but the life that I live is fairly commonplace and uneventful: I'm wife and mother, busy from day to day with mundane household chores and caring for children.

     That's to the outward eye, however.  In contrast, my eyes of faith can see great and grand things taking place inside of me.  Though I've not moved far physically, by God's grace, I see growth.  Growth from the spiritual baby that I once was.  Growth that comes through study and through prayer.  Day by sin-filled day, He teaches me contentment and increases my desire to glorify Him in the place in which He has put me with the gifts that He has given to me.  And today I'm another day closer to the day when I will reach full maturity, and go Home to enjoy Him forever.

     Now that's reason to celebrate!

1 comment:

  1. Happy Birthday, Sarah!
    What a wonderfully written post. Thanks for that.

    What a nice gift BJ gave you. If you need anyone to babysit for your night out in April, just give us a call! Joel and I went on a date to the Chicago Orchestra Hall a few years ago to view a group singing Handel's Messiah. It's so beautiful.

    ReplyDelete