Sunday, November 28, 2010

My Life's Work

     One of my dreams when I was younger was to write a book, and so I was moved when I read this quotation today: it is my Motherhood in prose.

     "A talented woman was asked by a friend, 'Why have you never written a book?'
     'I am writing two,' was the quiet reply. 'I have been engaged on one for ten years, the other five.'
     'You surprise me!' the friend said. 'What profound works they must be!'
     'It doth not yet appear what they shall be,' said the woman, 'but when He makes up His jewels, my great ambition is to find them there.'
     'Your children?'
     'Yes, my two children. They are my life's work.'
     And so for Mother, we six were her life's work.  She asked for no other."


Elizabeth Elliot, excerpt from her book The Shaping of a Christian Family

No comments:

Post a Comment