Wednesday, December 25, 2013


For those of you didn't receive the "annual letter" by mail and are interested in reading it:

Loved ones ~

            2013 has been a fairly predictable year for our family.  I almost didn’t write this letter, but I so enjoy reading yours that here goes…

            We’re finding that Colorado weather, while generally pleasant, is punctuated with extremes.  Winter came late this year, but the heavy snows that fell in April and May ended the concerns about drought!  More rain fell this summer than in our entire first year in Colorado, freeing us from sprinkler-switching every now and then.  In September extensive rains resulted in destructive floods in our area. 

The week of the flooding our cat, Twinkle, died while I was chauffeuring him to the vet.  (I know, I know!  I still roll my eyes about it, too.)  Our finch, Atticus, still thrives and sings – waay too much and waay too loudly – and the six red hens in the backyard just started laying and enjoying hanging out by the patio door and pooping on the step, much to Eli’s delight.

The day that Twink died I promised the kids that we’d visit the humane society and get another cat as soon as school dismisses next summer.  Shortly thereafter we became aware that, the Lord willing, Baby number six will be joining us in May.  (I’m hoping the kids forget what I said about a cat.) 

            Our children continue to shoot up and branch out.  When she’s not talking, singing, or piano-playing, Leah, 9, usually has her nose in book.  She even attempts walking this way, though not with much success.  She grows more mature and responsible each day, and is generally sweet to classmates, siblings, and parents alike, even when we are least deserving.

            Will’s 1st grade teacher requires her students to read 10 minutes a day.  I’m thankful for this, because there are times when I really need him to sit and be still for a bit, and the reading requirement comes in handy.  I use practicing his piano lessons to same end.  As an added bonus he’s becoming a fine reader and a budding pianist.  The other day he checked out all the George and Martha books from the public library and read them aloud as we ran errands.  Egads!  I laughed so hard I had tears running down my face.

            Now that Marie is five, she’s intent on attesting to her own maturity.  “Now that I’m five, Mom, I don’t stick my fingers in the butter to snitch big globs anymore!  I mean, I don’t even like butter anymore!”  Her princess fascination has morphed into a fairy fascination.  How or why, I’m not sure.  Regardless, she still insists on wearing a skirt – usually the same skirt – every day.  She writes her name well, cuts and colors beautifully, and eagerly anticipates starting school next August.

            Lately the youngest three and I have been singing Psalter #360 (Psalm 128) as part of our lunch devotions.  We end with verse three, “Olive plants in strength and beauty, full of hope and promise sweet.”   Without fail, Nathan turns to me at the end and says, “Eli it tweet.”  And I reply, “He is sweet, and so are you.”  And Nate insists, “No, I’m GWEAT!”  And he is great.  He’s got the greatest smile, the greatest inflections in his delightful voice, and the shrillest, grate-est wail you’ve ever heard when he’s upset.

            Dental hygienist Aunties Erin and Sherry would be proud to witness Eli’s unrelenting fascination with oral hygiene.  After supper, while we’re loading the dishwasher, he shuffles stiff-legged to the bathroom (which door is usually left open in spite of the present rule: THIS DOOR MUST BE SHUT AT ALL TIMES!) and samples the toothbrushes of every member of the family, one after another (much to B.J.’s chagrin).  If the toothbrushes are not in their usual spot, the toilet paper or toilet bowl (which lid is usually left open in spite of the present rule: THIS LID MUST BE SHUT AT ALL TIMES!) suffice as sources of amusement.
           
            B.J. continues to throw himself at his work with his whole heart.  This year his classes include U.S. history, biology, life science, algebra II, physical science, and physics.  He also helps keep the school’s technology ticking and is in the garage building new upper cabinets for our kitchen as I write.  Woo-hoo!

            The first weeks of this pregnancy were difficult for me.  I work hard manning this ship, and the very thought of taking on another mate – plus the nausea, fatigue, and financial concerns that another little one entails – almost did me in.  But I have my husband, who sagely reminds me that our sinking or sailing depends on One far greater than me, and ladies’ Bible study and church choir, both highlights in my week, to encourage me.  “The mighty One has done great things for me – Holy is His name.  And when I think of how He blesses me, it moves my heart to say, “Praise the Lord!”
           

            We plan to remain here for the holidays, which means we will miss many of you whom we dearly love.  You will be in our thoughts and prayers, in the memories we share, and in our hope for Heaven, where there will be no more death, sorrow, or pain.  The Place where righteousness will dwell.  The Place made possible because the Word became flesh and dwelt among us.  Praise Him!

No comments:

Post a Comment