Thursday, May 3, 2012

Eulogy


The piano was the first to move.

I scoured the counter as it creaked
through the living room
and heaved out the front door
into the bucket of the Allis.

My back was turned when it fell
face-first onto the burn pile.
I didn’t watch him douse it with gasoline
nor strike the match,
but as I tugged laundry off the line
smoke billowed like the black clouds overhead.

We huddled in the basement
beneath the threat of a tornado,
the rush of rain,
the smatter of hail.

When I ventured up and peered out,
it was still glowing at the far end of the yard,
hailstones thrumming the charred strings…

the last of a century’s worth of songs.



On In Around button

2 comments:

  1. Okay, this isn't fair, Sarah! You've got my curiosity growing and no conclusion as to why you'd burned a piano. Please explain! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have a very old piano that is very out of tune. I think more and more about replacing it. But what would I do with it then? Yes, you'll have to explain more about the burning. :-)

    ReplyDelete