Monday, August 29, 2011

The last from Alcorn

What do you say about a book that has changed your life?  I could quote two-thirds of Money, Possessions, and Eternity here.  One critique I have of the book is that Randy does repeat himself quite a bit.  Therefore, some of these quotations may be repeats on my blog as well.  Regardless, it is a read well worth your time.




I continually find it necessary to guard against that natural love of wealth and grandeur which prompts us always, when we come o apply our general doctrine to our own case, to claim an exception.  William Wilberforce




To turn the tide of materialism in the Christian community, we desperately need bold models of kingdom-centered living.  We should glorify God, not people.  But we must see and hear other giving stories or our people will not learn to give.




I have held many things in my hands and I have lost them all.  But whatever I have placed in God's hands, that I still possess.  Martin Luther




I do not believe one can settle how much we ought to give.  I am afraid the only safe rule is to give more than we can spare.  In other words, if our expenditure on comforts, luxuries, amusements, etc., is up to the standard common among those with the same income as our own, we are giving away too little.  If our charities do not at all pinch or hamper us, I should say they are too small.  There ought to be things we should like to do and cannot do because our charitable expenditure excludes them.  C.S. Lewis




How different our standard is from Christ's.  We ask how much a man gives.  Christ asks how much he keeps. Andrew Murray




You have taken possession of the resources that belong to Christ and you consume them aimlessly.  Don't you realize that you are going to be held accountable?  John Chrysostom




We must stop saying that Scripture is unclear on this subject.  Yes, it leaves room for differences in lifestyle.  But it leaves no room whatsoever for materialism, greed, envy, pride, selfishness, hoarding, irresponsible spending, unjustifiable debt, or indifference to the needs of the poor or the lost.  When we try to justify an of these sins on the basis of "legitimate lifestyle differences," we fool ourselves and each other, but not God.



No comments:

Post a Comment