Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Aha!

            For the two years that I attended college, I was an English major.  In addition, one of my work study jobs was tutoring fellow students in English and proofreading papers.  Consequently, I have a habit of continually editing what I write in attempt to express myself as precisely as I can.  This is true even of posts on my blog.  File that.
            Now, an unrelated thought – unrelated for a moment, anyway.  I have always struggled with the concept of submission.  Yep, I writhe under authority – what human doesn’t by nature? - but more than that, I stubbornly refused to comprehend what it means that a wife must submit to her husband.  I can remember drilling one of my aunts prior to marrying B.J.:
            “Give me a concrete example!  If B.J. says, ‘Make spaghetti for supper,’ then I have to make spaghetti for supper?!  But he never talks to me that way!  He won’t boss me like that!”  (My aunt only smirked at me in reply.)
            Fast forward.  Several weeks ago I sat down at my computer and typed up my blog entry from 12.18.10, “Another.”  The second-to-the-last sentence in the second-to-the-last paragraph originally read, “What a privilege and joy to walk my pilgrim way with the man who’s been given to me.”  That sentence bothered me for all of an hour, until I realized what was wrong with it and changed it: “What a privilege and joy to walk my pilgrim way with the man to whom I’ve been given.”
            Aha!  I think that I am catching on…
            Praise Him!

No comments:

Post a Comment